- Daily News for Senior Citizens

  FRONT PAGE Aging • Health • Alzheimer's - Mental • Nutrition • Medicare & Medicaid Politics  • Fitness  • Social Security • Alerts • Sex Health • Features • Retirement  Elder Care  >Search  >Senior Links


Senior Journal: Today's News and Information for Senior Citizens & Baby Boomers

More Senior Citizen News and Information Than Any Other Source -

• Go to more Social Security News or More Senior News on the Front Page


E-mail this page to a friend!

Social Security Q&A

Reporting Social Security on Income Tax Return, Benefits as Military Retiree in SSA Q&A

SSA-1099 forms reporting benefit payments for 2013 will be mailed by January 31

Jan. 9, 2014 – Many are surprised they have to report their Social Security benefit on their income tax form, but it is explained by Oscar Garcia, Public Affairs Specialist, with the Social Security Administration in this week’s Social Security Q&A. He also has an answer for a military retiree who wonders if he can also get a Social Security benefit.


My parents are still able to manage their own finances, including Social Security.  However, I am helping them with their income tax return, and I just found out they need to report their Social Security benefits.  I do not have their SSA-1099 forms as of yet. How can I request a copy of these forms?


More than likely all you have to do is wait for the forms to arrive by mail later this month. Each January we mail a Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099) showing the amount of benefits received in the previous year. The SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2013 will be mailed by January 31, 2014.

You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2013 on or after February 1, 2014. You can use this Benefit Statement when you complete their federal income tax return to find out if their benefits are subject to tax.


Related Archived Stories


Are Seniors on Medicare Affected by Obamacare? Answer by Social Security May Be Misleading

This week’s Social Security Q&A gives good synopsis of Medicare health coverage but not of impact on senior citizens by Affordable Care Act

Jan. 6, 2014

Read more Social Security News

also check Medicare and Senior Politics


If they do have to pay taxes on their Social Security benefits, they can make quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS or choose to have federal taxes withheld from their monthly benefits. Anyone can ask us to withhold federal taxes from their Social Security when they apply for benefits. Anyone who is already receiving benefits can change or stop this withholding by completing a form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The form can be downloaded from the IRS website at Your can also call the IRS toll-free number 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request.

When you complete the form, you will need to select the percentage of the monthly benefit amount they want withheld. You can have 7%, 10%, 15% or 25% of the monthly benefit withheld for taxes. Here is something else that you may find helpful as you prepare to file your parents’ tax return. 

The IRS has short and informative YouTube videos on a number of tax-related topics in English, Spanish and American Sign Language (ASL). One of these videos is “Do I Have to File a Tax Return?”  The video explains the requirements for filing a tax return, including income limits and age. These videos can be viewed at


Will my military retirement affect my Social Security benefits?


No. You can get both Social Security benefits and military retirement. There is no offset of Social Security benefits because of your military retirement. You can find more information in the publication “Military Service and Social Security” at, or call us at 1-800-772-1213. This publication provides an explanation of the extra earnings that Social Security can apply to your work history based on your military service.

Oscar Garcia is a Public Affairs Specialist with the Social Security Administration. You can direct your questions to him at: SSA, 411 Richland Hills Drive, San Antonio, Texas, 78245. You can also email him at


Financial Relief for Volkswagen Diesel Owners

You may be eligible for money damages if you owned or leased one of these VW, Porsche or Audi vehicles.

In the major scandal of 2015, Volkswagen cheated you and the world. They rigged diesel emission controls so you, nor regulators, would know how much pollution their cars were adding to our environment.

They were caught and have reserved $7.3 billion to help "make it right" with victims.

If you owned or leased one of these vehicles, contact us now.

 Beth Janicek, Board Certified Personal Injury Attorney Janicek Law attorneys are actively pursuing these cases against VW. Do Not Wait...

Janicek Law Firm, PC

Free Consultation

(Call toll free)

1-877-795-3425 or Email

Vehicles Involved

VW Jetta (2009–2015)

VW Jetta SportWagen (2009–2014)

VW Golf (2010-2015)

VW Golf SportWagen (2015)

VW Beetle (2012–2015)

VW Passat (2012-2015)

Audi A3 (2010-2015)

VW Touareg (2009–2016)

Porsche Cayenne (2015)

Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5 Quattro (2016)


Search for more about this topic on

Google Web

Keep up with the latest news for senior citizens, baby boomers

Click to More Senior News on the Front Page




Published by New Tech Media -

Other New Tech Media sites include,,,, etc.